Under the Financial Conduct Authority’s (“FCA”) Conduct of Business Rules 2.2A.5, AMP Capital Investors (UK) Limited is required to make a public disclosure on its website in relation to the nature of its commitment to the Financial Reporting Council’s (“FRC”) Stewardship Code.
The Code was first published by the FRC in July 2010 and it was updated in September 2012. Subsequently, the FRC published the new UK Stewardship Code 2020 (“2020 Code”), which took effect from 1 January 2020, and consists of 12 Principles for asset managers and asset owners, and six Principles for service providers.
The Code applies on a ‘comply or explain’ basis and is voluntary aiming at enhancing the quality of engagement between institutional investors and companies, to help improve long-term returns to shareholders and provide for the efficient exercise of governance responsibilities by setting out good practice on engagement with investee companies that institutional investors should aspire to.
The FRC defines ‘stewardship’ as ‘the responsible allocation, management and oversight of capital to create long-term value for clients and beneficiaries leading to sustainable benefits for the economy, the environment and society.’
The 2020 Code Principles are:
- Signatories’ purpose, investment beliefs, strategy, and culture enable stewardship that creates long-term value for clients and beneficiaries leading to sustainable benefits for the economy, the environment and society.
- Signatories’ governance, resources and incentives support stewardship.
- Signatories manage conflicts of interest to put the best interests of clients and beneficiaries first
- Signatories identify and respond to market-wide and systemic risks to promote a well-functioning financial system.
- Signatories review their policies, assure their processes and assess the effectiveness of their activities.
- Signatories take account of client and beneficiary needs and communicate the activities and outcomes of their stewardship and investment to them.
- Signatories systematically integrate stewardship and investment, including material environmental, social and governance issues, and climate change, to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Signatories monitor and hold to account managers and/or service providers.
- Signatories engage with issuers to maintain or enhance the value of assets.
- Signatories, where necessary, participate in collaborative engagement to influence issuers.
- Signatories, where necessary, escalate stewardship activities to influence issuers.
- Signatories actively exercise their rights and responsibilities.
Whilst not being a direct signatory at present, the Firm supports the objectives underlying the Code and adhere to the highest standards of corporate governance and due diligence in respect of its investments. The Firm is currently considering its position in respect of the 2020 Code to determine whether the Principles are applicable to its investment activities at this time. The Firm will update this Code disclosure accordingly in the near future.
AMP Capital Investors (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office at Companies House, 6th Floor Berkeley Square House, Berkeley Square, London W1J 6BZ (no. 05524536). While every care has been taken in the preparation of this information contained in this website, neither AMP Capital Investors (UK) Limited nor any member of the AMP Capital and AMP Groups make any representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any statement in it including without limitation, any forecasts. This content has been prepared for the purpose of providing general information only, without taking account of any particular investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Investors should, before making any investment decisions, consider the appropriateness of the information on this website, and seek professional advice, having regard to their objectives, financial situation and needs. All information on this website is subject to change without notice.